Vegans in Love: Should Vegans Date Meat Eaters?

Should vegans date meat eaters? A question that is often debated within the vegan community.

Technically, there is no right or wrong answer. It's all about preference, but I'm here to share my opinion on vegan to non-vegan love.

Is it wrong to be a vegan and date someone who eats animal products?

Nope.

My boyfriend isn't vegan and I don't have a problem with it. Why? The short answer is because I love him but the long answer is because I have faith in him to change his ways and I do truly believe he will be 100% vegan one day. On top of that, I started dating my boyfriend before I was vegan so I wasn't just going to dump him and be like "soz I don't love you anymore because you don't live the same way I do, even though I've only been doing it for like five minutes". I thought I'd also add that my boyfriend is making a conscious effort to cut down on animal products right now, however, this only happened recently so I understand what it's like to date someone who eats burgers, steaks and eggs a lot of the time.

I can understand why people wouldn't want to date a meat eater, though. I've seen many vegans express their sadness at the way their non-vegan partner treats their lifestyle. Personally, it's hard for me to understand how you can love someone but mock the way they live their life, especially if they are doing something as selfless as veganism. Here are some things to do if you are in this situation:

Communicate.


Make it clear to him/her when they say something offensive or something that has upsets you. If they really cared, they would stop. Talk to them in detail about the reasoning behind your choice and how passionate you are about it. Be prepared for some nonsensical replies but keep going, they will eventually understand what you mean.

Don't talk about veganism every time you sit down for dinner, though. It may become off-putting for them and they may start to feel like it's all you talk about.

Feed them. 


Take them to vegan restaurants, or restaurants that provide vegan options. Cook for them. Show them what the vegan movement is all about. Make it clear to them that you don't just eat avocados and quinoa. Introduce them to Linda McCartney Sausage Rolls... they always fool the meat eaters.

Show respect both ways. 


Obviously, I'm not saying you should be okay with your partner eating dead animals but you shouldn't start screaming at them if you walk in on them cutting up a steak.

During my time on the Facebook group, Vegan UK, I've seen many vegans (especially women) who will cook meat for their partners. If you truly don't mind doing that then that's a different issue, but if you are doing it and you have gone vegan for the animals then it's a little concerning. I mean, you wouldn't kill a cat if your partner asked you to, would you?

Don't call it quits. Just remember, you used to eat meat too and you probably said: "I'll never go vegan". There's hope for everyone. Really try to understand where they are coming from; many people don't understand what happens to animals before they reach our plates. Give them the benefit of the doubt, and remember not to alienate or judge them. They're in the same boat as you were before you were vegan.

Would you date a non-vegan?


Please leave a comment if you have any suggestions for future blog posts. I am also happy to answer any questions about veganism you may have.
đź’“ Phoebe xoxo



Comments

Popular Posts

Phoebe's books

Tell Me Everything
The First Day of Spring
So That Happened: A Memoir
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
They Both Die at the End
Never Fall for Your Fiancée
The Lucky Escape
Two Metres From You
Dating Dr. Dil
Lockdown on London Lane
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Me Before You
The Switch
Legendborn
The Road Trip
Book Lovers
How to Kill Your Family
You and Me on Vacation
A Not So Quiet Christmas


Phoebe Diana's favorite books »